Wednesday, March 4, 2009


This is what I love about life... two days ago I didn't even own a mobile phone, and today I've spent the entire day chatting away to journalists, doing radio interviews at 3am (because of the time difference) and have sent and received so many emails that I've been blocked out of my hotmail account for 24 hours! I didn't even know that was possible!

I was also planning to be in Ecuador at this moment in time (I use the term 'planning' loosely - you're not that easily fooled). Instead I find myself living in a boxing arena in Peru with some fighters I met on the bus, whilst simultaneously making the Metro headlines in London. To me, this is what life is about... continuous possibility... never knowing where you're going to end up, who with, or why.

The guys are amazing! They are ridiculously generous and have not only allowed me to stay with them rent free (they would not accept any money), but they've also lent me a laptop and mobile, cooked for me every night (I've even received breakfast in bed twice), and taken me everywhere I need to go.

The only condition, it seems, is that I have to surrender my body to the world of fighting and learn to embrace their strict training regime (maybe they're training me up to be their cartoon guard dog). I feel so at home here, but I do feel a little at risk of turning into one of these guys. They make me drink protein shakes, eat lots of meat, watch fighting videos and do circuit training. I even now 'appreciate a good fight'. Another random adventure, into the world of martial arts, and thoroughly enjoying it.

I have also realised that you boys and girls are fantastic! I set up a facebook group asking all my friends to vote, and it got passed around so many strangers that I shot up to 14th place on the leader board. I may be 10,000 votes behind Taiwan, but I'm confident we can still kick a bit of international ass... especially with all this martial arts training I've been doing...

Sleep with one eye open Taiwan...


I also like the way that this is probably the most ridiculous situation I have ever found myself in (and that's saying something), yet none of you seem remotely surprised by all this. The constant response I seem to be getting is "that is so typical of you". Typical?! How can living in a fighting arena in Peru and receiving Z-list celebrity status off the back of a talking llama be considered 'typical behaviour'? And if it is, then how the hell did I manage to pass the psychometric test?

Right, I need to call every single journalist, radio producer and publicist I can possily think of, so ciao for now brown cows...


No comments:

Post a Comment