Tuesday, March 3, 2009

So, I have received a few messages asking me how the hell I ended up living in a fighting arena in Peru. Allow me to reveal in a small, bite-size morsel:

Having just discovered I'd made the short list, I danced my way onto the bus to Piura, hassled a poor Peruvian guy called Jose until he lent me his mobile phone to text my sister the good news. Then I got stuck in Nazca for 3 hours because the bus broke down, got harassed by a homeless guy who liked to pat me on the shoulder, practiced my Spanish on some street kids, and bought them some grapes in return. Eventually the bus kicked back into action and we finally arrived in Piura about four hours behind schedule.

By this point I was basically popping with excitement and desperate to get on the internet to start my campaigning. One mention of the words 'wireless internet' from Jose and we were on our way to his house (which turned out to be less of a house and more of a mixed martial arts fighting arena with two small rooms above it).

I only intended to stay for a couple of hours, but the fighters all cooked me dinner and I was enjoying speaking Spanish with them, so I remained there until the evening. I was just about to head out to find a hostel, when Jose said, "Sara, it's dark. Why don't you just sleep here? You can have your own bedroom..."

So, my friends, that is how I ended up living in a fighting arena in Peru.

No comments:

Post a Comment