Thursday, March 12, 2009

Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner...


The London media ring is a tough nut to crack.

I've spent nearly 48 hours phoning, emailing, phoning again, networking, chasing up, phoning again... it's got me nowhere. The story is over a week old now and even when I provide a new spin, any interest I manage to generate is inevitably followed by those ominous words: "OK, put it in an email and I'll get back to you". BBC London won't put me on because they asked Holly (other British contestant) to do a piece in my absence while I was in Peru. I've tried using my Watfordian roots to get me local coverage there, but, other than press and a couple of radio stations, I have found the same problem, since Holly is also from Herts and they got to her first.

Still, ever the optimist, I've decided to take matters into my own hands. If nobody will give my perennial streams of press releases, phone calls or emails the time of day, then what will they make time for?

The answer? Cake. Everybody loves a bit of cake don't they? If I take cakes around to radio stations in London then they're bound to let me in. The problem is that once I've got my way in, they're likely to just eat the cake and forget about me... not what I'm after. I need a way of personalising the cakes, so that every time they eat one they will be reminded about me and hopefully give me a shout out on air.

I've read enough about psychology to know that, in a situation like this, you need to have about twelve points of contact with someone before you'll stick in their mind. I've already had about six forms of contact with each radio station, through my constant emails and phone calls. A few trays of personalised cakes followed by a few more phone calls and emails will surely crack it?

Half an hour of internet surfing and I've found it; a service that can print photos onto icing toppers for fairy cakes. Bingo. I have already sent the radio stations the profile picture of me jumping on a beach, in various emails and press releases. Hopefully, this will jog their memory in a delicious, cakey bite - overloading the senses with sugary endorphins for positive reinforcement, and getting me that little bit closer to my goal (psychological manipulation is the key...). The photo is colourful, topical and eye catching, and they even do next day delivery. Perfect.

Let round two of London radio campaigning begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment