Monday, March 9, 2009

So how does this happen? One minute I'm sitting on a bus on my way to Ecuador, minding my own business and completely anonymous to all those around me. The next minute I'm being filmed by the BBC arriving at Heathrow (in my socks, because I don't own any shoes) and having press and radio call me to ask what campaign ideas I have in place to guarantee my place in Oz.

The answer? None. I wasn't prepared for this. When one creates an application video in Peru using nothing but a compact digital camera, a talking llama and a Spanish version of Movie Maker... one doesn't really expect to beat 34000 other applicants to the short list (even if one is pretty short - 5'1" to be exact). I'd been mobile phone-less, laptop-less, and on the other side of the world in a different time zone when I found out I'd been short listed. This is a situation that does not make for easy campaigning.

I did as much as I could in Peru, doing radio interviews at 3am etc. However, I want this job more than I've ever wanted anything else in my life, so I decided to cut my travels short to come back to England to publicise my little bottom off. I landed just in time for a media press meeting with the other British candidates, the BBC, and the Queensland Tourism staff. 

It was brilliant to finally meet the other British candidates, and luckily we get on really well (mainly because we're all happy to constantly talk about Australia). I'm a little concerned about being behind on publicity. While I was in Peru, Holly (the other British girl) was asked to go on BBC London news, which is huge coverage for her. Also, Clare (the Taiwanese candidate) has somehow managed to get 80,000 votes! I've definitely got my work cut out for me. That said, I have the most votes out of everyone in Britain by a long way, so I guess that will work in my favour. Luckily, my sister, Michelle, has sorted out my 'homeless' problem by offering to let me share her room for the next week, so now it's go, go, go!

Come on Britain... there are 60 million of you... one vote each and I'm 59,920,000 votes ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Love that you're writing a blog again! Your life is my favourite soap opera. I look forward to regular installments!
    xx

    ReplyDelete